February 2020 Film Reel

February 2020 Film Reel


In my film reel, my main goal is to show my talent and passion as a cinematographer. Story was not a focus for me during my editing, but I would say the tone is very somber. In production, my role usually ends up being Director of Photography, which is what I love to do. I like to capture the director's vision in a creative and interesting way. Something about being behind the camera excites me. As an editor, with time to grow, I could be represented well artistically. In the future, I want to improve my editing and learn to color film. As more projects finish for me I will continue to make reels with new spins to try and improve my editing. Being an editor for The Kingfisher will help me improve as well.

In my reel, I used the shots I thought best represented my uses of cinematography. I chose to place shots with strong lighting in the power positions of my reel. Audio wise, I did not put as much thought into it as I should. I picked a song and dropped it in; however, I did cut on beat and place actions to the beat as well.

My edit started with picking and compiling clips. Next, I placed them in bin and selected my starting and ending shots. Then, I put clips together based on how they matched, I tried to either make the shots be drastically different or very similar. Next time, I would spend more time polishing my edit and adding more. I would also continue to place clips together with intentionality. I think more projects and diversity is needed to ensure a complete reel for myself.

Comments