2nd Semester Video Production Reflection

Short Film

We were asked to create a short film of our choice from 3-5 minutes. Each person wrote their own logline, treatment, and script. We chose from those scripts and produced the strongest ones. My group chose to take my idea and rewrite the entire script. Next, we finished preproduction. I did the storyboard, and the rest of the group helped with the production schedule. The preproduction process took around 2-3 weeks as a whole. Next, we had a week to film, then, one to edit. Overall this project was about 6 weeks. One challenge we faced was we had to improvise because we forgot the story board at school and we could not film any other day. This put a huge task on our editor, Connor. He did a fantastic job creating a quality story out of the shots we had. Another was we did not have a tripod, so some of our shots are crooked. We learned to plan ahead more through these mistakes. We were told we got good, clear footage by a junior student. We also were told to cut down our really long shot of Jeremiah stealing things from John. We changed our script to make it better. Our video turned out way better than I expected with the setbacks we faced.

Music Video

We were tasked with recreating a music video. Overall, this video took around a month from pre to post production. One challenge was that we had no idea what video we wanted to recreate. Mrs. Zimmerli helped us by showing us a video we really really liked. We decided to stick with this idea. We learned a lot about planning and what goes into a video. People really liked the idea for our video and thought it was funny. We changed actors from Cole to John's brother, Nathan. My overall opinion is we could have done a lot better on this video.

Time

In class whenever I have something to get done I do it efficiently. When I finish early, however, I usually work on other classes. I should learn from this and spend time on making my work better. I watch movie and show reviews outside of school that heavily talk about characters and their development and this has helped me with understanding quality story telling.

Strengths

I feel my strengths in this class were shot composition and prewriting. I feel my storyboards really explained what I wanted out of my stories. To maximize these strengths I can help with prewriting and maybe take the DP role in future projects. I feel I never lived up to my potential at this time in this class and I regret that.

Improvement

I feel my weaker areas in this class is acting and teamwork. Acting is something I've never really enjoyed and can't really see myself enjoying, but I would be willing to try a small dose of it. Regarding teamwork, I feel I tend to try and take creative control which is not how the creative process within a team should work at all. I feel I significantly improved this from last year this year. It has led to stronger projects and less stress for me. Being able to let go and try other people's ideas has always been something I have not been very good at. This class especially has significantly helped me.

Short Film

My role in the short film process was creating the storyboard, and co-DPing. My team created a comedy of sorts. I learned that being careful and double checking to make sure you are actually ready to film are very important. Writing for this assignment was honestly really enjoyable for me. It was hard to start, but when I did I enjoyed it. I learned how characters work and how stories can be told throughout my writing of my logline, treatment, and script.

Summary

The most enjoyable thing this semester for me was having more creativity involved with out pieces. I really enjoy thinking of different ways to portray particularly mundane things. One HUGE takeaway for me this semester was planning and executing that plan is very important in creating a good piece. Next year I want to improve my skills significantly.

This year has helped me grow not only as an artist but also as a person, so thank you Mrs. Zimmerli

Comments