2nd Semester Graphic Design Reflection

Event Advertising: Poster Design, Postcard Designs, Ticket Design

My favorite project from this semester was the Event Advertising project. Our task was to pick a musician, band, art movement, or artist to create advertising for an imaginary event. We had to design a poster, two post cards, and the ticket. The project took a lot of time to complete as there were many components. We were given around 4 weeks to complete every aspect with checkpoints around every week to keep us on track. A challenge I faced was laying out the text. I was going for a vintage inspired poster design and it was difficult to lay out the text in the way I desired. I settled for a slight variation to what I wanted, but I have since learned how to block it out the way I want so I can go back easily and fix it now. Another challenge was finding a way to incorporate the pen tool as that was a requirement. I incorporated the pen tool by creating the layout for the photos. This project taught me many things. One of these is blending two different photos together using the blending options in Photoshop to create an image that resembles a double exposure. I used this in the large image on my poster. I also learned how to blend an image and a solid color to give the background of my poster a tattered appearance. The final major thing I learned is how to use the Wacom Tablet to draw using the brush tool. I used this in my stronger post card. Mrs. Beaudoin helped me with my poster layout. I changed my layout many times until it was nearly perfect in my eyes. I think this project is my strongest work I have produced in not only this class, but also my Video Production class. As always, though, I see things I could easily improve and things that would take lots of work to improve over time.

Typography

My second favorite project this semester was our Typography project. We were tasked with picking 4 quotes and laying them out in a creative, effective way. We had 3 weeks: 2 to lay them out in black and white, and 1 to add color in an effective way. One challenge was to make them distinct from each other. Looking back my quotes look very similar. I learned how to lay things out effectively. Ms. Beaudoin helped me make each quote more distinct as I progressed. I changed each quotes layout drastically at least once. I feel that I did adequately on this project, but I could do better.

Vector Portrait

The Vector Portrait project was a project where we used shape and pen tools to create a portrait of yourself. I traced over a picture of myself. This project took 3-4 weeks. I was highly unfamiliar with the pen tool so this project was very difficult. I learned slowly how to use the pen tool the way I wanted to. Mrs. Beaudoin helped me make the nose because I could not figure out how to make it look right, she suggested making the shadows which is what ended up working. I changed how I traced my nose which helped make my portrait stronger. I feel this project has some of the most room for improvement but I am happy with it because it was my first try at something like it.

Time Management

When I finished projects early I would often work on other classwork, but I was nearly always busy with design work so this was not a problem. Whenever I could not do something I would ask for help or google it, and would often end up using it again later. I always critiqued my projects before or after I turned them in, I just did not always improve them because of time restrictions. I do not really do much outside of class to further my knowledge, occasionally I will do some light photo editing with adjustment layers but that is pretty much it.

Strengths

My strengths in e-Communication are dedication and composition. I find that in both video and graphic I always look for mistakes in composition, and I am dedicated to fixing those mistakes.

Weaknesses

My biggest weakness by far is teamwork. I am excited to work in teams in video but up until now I have only sometimes found myself enjoying the teams I am working in, I enjoy either being with friends or people who are dedicated to making the best possible projects. If my team has neither I find it very difficult to work effectively. I hope to drastically improve this flaw in the coming years, even after high school.

Conclusion

I loved being able to mature my skills in Photoshop and Illustrator this year in Graphic Design. I wouldn't really change anything, because the things I did not enjoy were essential to the development of my skills in design.

Comments